Arthritis Insight Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

when does your prednisone "kick in"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
freesia View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2011 at 4:36pm
RickF--you're on the anti-inflammatory diet, aren't you? I wonder if that is helping keep your HbA1c level down.

RickF View Drop Down

Quote RickF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 7:57am
No special diet really... although it might help if I were on one.  I try not to over due it with carbs though.
64 y.o. male Dx PMR Mar, 2010.
Started on 20mg Pred; currently on 10 mg.

MrsE View Drop Down

Quote MrsE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 10:13am
As far as I know the only thing that affects the Hb1ac is the longterm level of glucose in the blood - it is made by an interaction between the Hb and the glucose over an extended period. I don't think anything inhibits it either.

Keeping the amount of carb you eat moderate or low is a good thing - after all, before insulin it was the only way of managing diabetes.

Eileen
Not a Newbie to PMR - just to this community!!! Hi all!
freesia View Drop Down

Quote freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 11:17am
RickF and MrsE,  Thanks for your explanation of what Hb1Ac is. Interesting --my doctor also mentioned keeping carbs at a  minimum! It's good to know you are all on the same page. Diabetes has never been a concern until now and I know very little about it.  Not that it's really a concern but it's a possibility now because of the prednisone. 

I've been researching diabetes diets since yesterday. Foods all have a glycemic load and that is what diabetics have to be aware of.  The lower the glycemic load the better it is for you.  Eating smaller amounts, not huge meals--I tend to do that anyway. I do love bread, cookies and sweets so that part is a challenge for me.  It's surprising that some foods, like bread, actually have a big glycemic load.

freesia

MrsE View Drop Down

Quote MrsE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 12:46pm
The foods with a high glycaemic load are often the ones which are most refined and can be identified by colour: very white! Anything with finely ground white flour is not good and if it is mixed with sugar - OH NO, NO, NO!! There are a few cookbooks aimed at this market which are excellent reading as well as having nice recipes and when you understand the concept it makes it easier to understand what sort of foods are best for you. The idea is to aim for food that takes a longer time to digest so you feel fuller for longer. You also need some fat but not too much as that is also bad for diabetes but fat also fills you for longer.

Many of the diet foods have low fat because fat is the most calorie dense part of our diet and that reduces the calorie count - but it isn't all about calories. The diet food with low fat has extra carbs to replace it and when you read the ingredients list it is truly horrifying (well, it is to me!). And it is all in a form that is absorbed at high speed from your stomach, you get a spike of blood sugar, your body shovels out the insulin to combat it and the result is the blood sugar level falls very rapidly and overshoots to a level that is too low. Then that makes you feel shaky and hungry so you grab a bun or a snack to make you feel better but all that does is start this circle going again. Keeping carbs down and using veggies and protein to fill you up is much better for you - and as a side-effect it will also help reduce any muscle wasting due to the pred.

Enjoy finding info and recipes on the internet Big%20smile

Eileen
Not a Newbie to PMR - just to this community!!! Hi all!
freesia View Drop Down

Quote freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 2:10pm
It sounds like a healthier way of eating, in many ways. Thanks for the information, MrsE!
The amount of sugar in those low fat diet foods is horrifying to me, too!

freesia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12